DEAR CHESS FRIEND!
Congratulations on the purchase of your MEPHISTO MINI! Your new chess computer is a high quality product, developed in Germany and designed to be both simple to use and strong-playing. Your MEPHISTO team wishes you many hours of chess fun with your new partner.
MAIN MEPHISTO MINI GAME CHARACTERISTICS:
- Program is ideal for beginners and occasional players.
- Moves played directly on the board.
- Moves shown by a 4-character, 7 segment display.
- 8 function keys.
- 32 levels (with and without beep tone).
- 4 problem-solving levels.
- Position store function; interrupted games can be stored and continued later.
- Move take back: 2 plies.
- Position evaluation in Pawn-units.
- Position storing for problem chess or analysis.
- Chess clock shows total time used.
- Information mode.
- Random-move generator.
When switched on MEPHISTO MINI is set to level A3 with an average of 15 seconds per move. You have 31 other settings.
- A1, B1, C1, D1 = 3 seconds average response time.
- A2, B2, C2, D2 = 5 seconds average response time.
- A3, B3, C3, D3 = 15 seconds average response time.
- A4, B4, C4, D4 = 30 seconds average response time.
- A5, B5, C5, D5 = 1 minute average response time.
- A6, B6, C6, D6 = 2 minutes average response time.
- A7, B7, C7, D7 = 3 minutes average response time.
- A8, B8, C8, D8 = infinite time level.
The levels on the A-file are the normal playing levels. The higher the level set, the longer the response time. The B-file represents the normal playing levels without the beep tones (silent mode).
The levels on the C-file are the so-called Special Levels. Whereas the computer will always play the best move it can find when set to A-file or B-file level, when set to a special level it will switch a random move generator on, which will play one of several equally evaluated moves i.e. the computer will play different lines which is more interesting. If you want to play the special level without beep tones then these can be selected as before, but with the D-file squares.
Excerpts taken from the “Mephisto Mini” User Manual and Box.